Apr 1, 2014

home tour continued: our family room

we definitely spend most of our time as a family in this room and i really wanted it to reflect us and our love of austin. 

when we first moved in, i was obsessing over getting a white media center and bookcases and had been internet stalking this one from pottery barn for months. except it was $3500. BEFORE shipping. like... what?! i scoured the internet and every store in town that i could come up with when i finally had a lightbulb moment in the furniture aisle of target one day. i saw these threshold book cases on one aisle and the media stand on the next and thought to myself... i could DRILL those suckers together and make almost the same thing that PB carries! and by I, i mean my husband and dad could do that when they assembled those beasts! the best part? it cost a combined total of $350! i wasn't crazy about the knobs on the cabinet doors, but i bought a couple of nickel knobs at lowe's and fixed that right up!




the corner with my turntable is my favorite little space in our house. i grew up listening to albums with my mom and every time i listen to one now in my own house, i get that giddy, nostalgic feeling. i love curling up on the floor next to it when i'm having a stressful day and reading through album inserts and listening to music. what's even better is how much my daughter loves to play her albums and dance around. i even found some old Joe Scruggs children's records at Half Price Books that i had as a little girl and she loves them. i listen to a lot of the beatles and my heart just about exploded the day my daughter started belting out "strawberry fields forevaaa!". 

have you heard of Woodsnap?! SO in love with their wood prints and i may have "peed my pants just a lil' bit" (as my daughter says, ha!) the day the FedEx guy delivered this giant gem to my door. and a big shout out to my amazing friend Spanki for taking that picture of us outside of our favorite restaurant... such a treasure to have that moment captured and i smile every time i look at it. :)





just a little touch of my other favorite city, NYC. they make me think of my bff who lives there that i miss like crazy!



i needed something for this wall space when i came across this shop on Etsy and discovered that she made custom sized skyline paintings. in love with the way it turned out!


and, finally... this. a book about the history of austin that my parents gave to my pawpaw a few years before he passed away. i miss him so much and i love having this displayed to remind me of him and his sweet spirit. 

1 comment:

  1. Holly, can I just say.... I'm loving your blog and I love what you did to your living space. Such a transformation since the last time I was there. It is so you!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete