May 12, 2014

how wonderful life is...


the smell of lemon pledge filled the air while she she walked around the house using an old frayed rag to wipe the furniture. in the shelf near the television was a record player with the clear plastic lid open and the album spinning round and round. i watched the needle making contact with the record while listening to her sing along to bennie and the jets by elton john. 

my mother always kept a clean house and every weekend i watched and often times helped her with the chores. many times neither of us would feel like cleaning, so she would look at me with big, enthusiastic eyes and run to the record player to put on one of his albums. like pavlov’s dog, i always responded to the sound of his music by standing up and getting in the cleaning mood.

elton john has been a part of my life as long as i can remember. in fact, i was probably dancing to crocodile rock in the womb. still to this day when i need energy to get the house clean, i turn on his music and think of my mom. only these days, i listen to my elton playlist on my iPhone on bluetooth speaker. technology may have changed over the years but one thing has remained the same… elton rocks my socks off and every time i hear him, my heart explodes with love for my mom.

this past saturday night was such a special night. i attended the elton john concert with friends, and most importantly, with the woman who introduced the talented piano player to my life. below is a snapshot taken of my mom and i singing along while he sang your song. mom, i know it’s called your song but i’d like to rename it our song.



No comments:

Post a Comment